With the return of Summer comes more chances for kids to create more messes in the home. Try these kid-friendly cleaning tips from The Maids to help clean up messes such as bubble gum, crayon marks, dirt and grime and lipstick stains. (Did you leave your make-up out in the open around your toddler? Do it once, and you won’t make that mistake again ;-> ). This gum cleaning tip came in handy when I forgot to check pockets before washing clothes. ARGH!
- Chewing Gum: Whether it’s stuck on the bottom of your shoe or in a pocket, leave item in the freezer over night, then chip away. For stubborn gum, use a small amount of paint thinner.
- Crayon on the Walls: As ingenious as your child’s art work may be, the best way to remove it from walls is to scrub it with a small amount of paint thinner and wipe away with a clean, dry cloth.
- Playdough in the Carpet: Place a large amount of dry cleaning solvent on a clean, white towel. Leave the towel on the effected area for one minute, lift and gently rub the playdough away, moving towel in one direction.
- Lipstick on your Wall (or collar ;-> ): Little ones love to play with color where ever they find it, and if they’ve gotten into your purse, or make-up drawer, try this tip. Scrape excess wax away with a spatula. Pre-treat clothing with a small amount of dish washing liquid and rinse. Mix a 1/3 part white vinegar to 2/3 parts water to gently blot stain away or wipe surfaces clean.
- Dirt and Dust: It’s everywhere! Ask children to remove shoes before coming into the house to keep as many allergens outside as possible. Vacuum entry ways often to remove allergy and asthma contaminants.