Of course I use lotions and potions to help my skin look as good as possible, yet there’s more to reflecting beauty then what’s on the surface. I agree with Dr. Christopher Calapai, D.O., board certified in family and anti-aging medicine, that beauty really does come from within. There’s no denying the beauty of a those with kindness, love and understanding in their heart. And, we know, that eating well makes you feel better and keeps your physique in top shape as well. But don’t underestimate the power of certain foods when it comes to beauty and looking youthful. Read on for 10 Foods To Fight Aging .
Keep them guessing your age
1. Edamame: Collagen, the fibrous protein that keeps skin firm and wrinkle-free, begins to decline in your 20’s. Eating edamame, a food rich in soy, can help preserve collagen. Soy contains isoflavones – a natural compound that is capable of exerting estrogen-like effects.
2. Tart Cherry Juice: Who knew that this tangy drink naturally contains melatonin? Well, it does. And melatonin promotes sleep. Beauty sleep – enough said.
3. Oysters: These shellfish are filled with selenium and zinc, which both possess skin-clearing properties. Zinc is a trace mineral that is essential for its role in cell growth and cell replication. Selenium is a dietary mineral that increases your antioxidants levels. Antioxidants are critical for preventing blocked pores.
4. Honey: This sweet treat is a natural humectant, meaning it attracts water. When it comes to your skin, consuming honey helps draw water from the mineral tissues to the surface of the skin, keeping it moisturized, supple and flake-free.
5. Sweet Potato: Aside from being delicious, sweet potatoes contain beta-carotene, which is converted to Vitamin A. Vitamin A prevents hair from becoming dull and lifeless and your scalp dry and flakey – which can result in dandruff.
6. Cantaloupe: Very high in antioxidants, you’ll keep your eye health on point and since it is rich in vitamin C immune health is increased. That means fewer colds leaving you weak and sluggish. Finally this power fruit protects you from free radicals at the cellular level.
7. Brazil Nuts: All you need to eat are 4 of these a day to need the daily requirement. Packed with selenium, Brazil nuts protect skin against age spots and sun damage. Be sure to keep them in the fridge; once shelled they spoil.
8: Roasted Chickpeas: Packed with kaempferol and quercetion two inflammation fighters, chickpeas keep skin looking clear and even. Also as we age our metabolism slows down. Manganese and copper are two minerals that support metabolism at the cellular level.
9. Cucumbers: A cucumber a day keeps cellulite away. Not only are they delicious and packed skin plumping water but, when sliced and rubbed on cellulite prone areas they phytochemicals tighten collagen reducing the visibility of cellulite.
10. Guacamole: You can’t go wrong with avocados, which are great for your blood and bones. Oleic acid, the monounsaturated fat that is good for your heart makes up 59% of it’s total fat. It’s also great for skin and hair.
About the Doctor:
Dr. Christopher Calapai, D.O. is an Osteopathic Physician board certified in family medicine, anti-aging medicine and chelation therapy. Named the “The Stem Cell Guru” by the New York Daily News, Dr. Calapai is a leader in the field of stem cell therapy in the U.S.
With over 25 years experience, Dr. Calapai has hosted nationally syndicated radio shows, including his two weekly call-in shows on WABC 770-AM in New York, where he offers health and medical advice. He’s advised Mike Tyson, Mickey Rourke, Steven Seagal, and worked as a medical consultant for the New York Rangers hockey team as well as various modeling agencies.
He is the author of several E-books: Heavy Metals and Chronic Disease, Reverse Diabetes Forever! Seven Steps to Healthy Blood Sugar, Top Ten Supplements You Can’t Live Without, and Glorious Glutathione. Learn more about Dr. Calapai on his website, www.drcal.net.